Monday, October 3, 2011

Pop - A Musical Stepping Stone

Though it may seem like it, I didn't create this blog solely to hate on pop musicians. They have to start somewhere and so does their audience. The way I see it, pop is a gateway to the rest of the world of music. It is not pure evil, it is not the cause of anorexia, and it is not what was in bed with your mom last night.


Pop has elements from a variety of genres including rap, R&B, techno, rock, and alternative. Although pop itself immediately sucks in and takes hold of some people, its mesh of different styles may serve as a bridge to a new favorite sound. Lets say a kid grew up only listening to their parents' rock music. In turn, they develop a strong taste for it too. Turning on the radio, they may at first only hear the techno pop that's dominating the airways at the moment. Ew, disgusting. However, one fine day, this kid turns on the radio, hears some Cobra Starship, and suddenly becomes curious about variations on techno pop. Before they know it, they're on the internet looking up the band and finding many others like it. Just like that, a musical identity is born. Congratulations, it's a boy!

After a little searching, I found that many people start branching out of their parents' musical tastes at around 11-14. I was 12 when I went through my 'discovering music' phase. I ate up anything and everything I found enjoyable to my virgin ears. In the first one or two years, you'll probably love whatever you're listening to. It's new and exciting! Your musical collection grows as quickly as a family of unfixed gerbils. Then, out of the blue, you take a step back in horror.

"Dear God, what was I listening to?!"

Suddenly, the songs you used to love suck.
It's alright, young musical enthusiast! All of that flimsy pop pathed the way for you to discover what you're into now. All of those moments where you thought to yourself "I really like this beat" or "I want more of these sultry vocals" led you to your refined taste of today... even if some people still don't agree with it. Some songs will become unlistenable while some remain guilty pleasures; like a true bff, they'll always there to cheer you up.

So, as you listen to your faddish boybands, remember that this is only the beginning. Keep your mind and ears open... oh, but uh... use protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment